Growing Great Cider in Virginia: a Conversation with Growers and Makers
Join Albemarle CiderWorks and a slew of special guests to discuss, debate, and brainstorm the past, present, and future of heritage cider in Virginia. This year we'll focus on the how, what, why, and where of growing great cider apples, from technical and philosophical standpoints. While growing apples is the focus, this forum has something for everyone in the industry, from commercial orchardists, to those just getting established with a small farm cidery, to those who prefer to make cider while leaving the growing and pressing to others. The intent behind this forum is to bring us all together, facilitate the exchange of ideas and information, and continue the work of building a great Virginia cider industry. Oh, and to share some really delicious cider, of course!
Speakers and Topics:
- Dr. Jim Schupp, Penn State University - PGRs (Plant Growth Regulators) for orchard, disease, and crop management, PSU varietal trials, Q&A with Dr. Schupp
- Sihui Ma, Virginia Tech - Clarification and YAN during fermentation; Sihui Ma will discuss the work she is doing with Dr. Amanda Stewart on cider fermentation.
- Growing for Cider: the Challenges and Rewards - Growers Panel with Silver Creek Orchard, Showalters Orchard, and Foggy Ridge Orchard
- Grower Resources Overview, with VA Association of Cider Makers, et al
- Ben Watson, author of Cider: Hard and Sweet - Guided Single Varietal Tasting
The forum costs $65 and includes lunch. Space is limited. Please puchase tickets in advance HERE.
The Forum will be followed by a Cocktail Hour in Celebration of Tom Burford. Open (and free) to all Forum participants. Stay after the Forum to toast "Professor Apple" and to celebrate his contributions to apple heritage and Virginia cider.
VACM and Growers Meet and Greet Dinner: A ticketed event open to VACM members, VA Growers, and Forum participants. Separate from the forum, this dinner will serve as an oportunity for growers and cider makers to meet and network. Tickets are $20 each, please purchase tickets in advance.