Fine fruit is the most perfect union of the useful and the beautiful that the earth knows.
This recipe is a Shelton family favorite and an especial favorite of the family's patriarch, Bud Shelton. These cakes are substantial without being heavy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and grated
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Whisk egg, sour cream and milk together and mix into dry ingredients. Stir in melted butter and fold in grated apple.
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter on moderately hot griddle and bake, turning when lightly browned.
- Serve with maple or fruit syrup, butter, sausages, bacon and fresh or curried fruit, coffee, tea and juice.