"Humanity will be renewed in the Orchard, and the Orchard will restore it."
This delicious apple tart is courtesy of Virginia James of Charlottesville, VA. Mrs. James prefers Stayman Winesap for this dish, which her husband grew in their small orchard in Charlotteville. Do seek out a tart, winey, well-flavored apple.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- Grated lemon rind
- 4 to 6 apples, pared and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 Tbsp. cream
- Put flour in a bowl. Make a well in the center and place in it egg yolks, salt, sugar, butter and grated lemon rind.
- Work with hands or pastry cutter until blended. Spread in an 11x17x1-1/2-inch pan.
- Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon. Lay apples in neat rows to cover the crust. Dot with butter.
- Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and cover apples with mixture of egg yolks and cream. Continue baking, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes more at 400 degrees.