Stay me with flagons; comfort me with apples.
A large firm apple that holds its shape well works in this recipe. Rome Beauty is excellent, as are Pippins and Virginia Gold.
- 4 large apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Nutmeg to taste
- 2 tbsp minced dried apricots
- 2 tbsp dried cherries
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts
- Core 4 large apples for baking. Peel or not as desired and place in baking dish.
- Cream 2 Tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Combine with 2 tablespoons minced dried apricots, 2 tablespoons dried cherries and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Stuff apples with fruit mixture. Pour 3/4 cup fresh unfiltered apple cider around apples and bake at 350 degrees for one hour, basting with liquid several times.
- Serve warm or cool with creme fraiche laced with calvados, or a custard sauce flavored similarly.